Technical Director for The Batte Fine Arts Center
Classification: Full-time, 12-month Exempt
Position Available: May 6, 2013
Reports to: Director of Cultural Events
Salary: Negotiable, full benefits package offered (health, dental, vision, life, retirement)
Technical Director will oversee the use of three Wingate University performance facilities (174/554/999 seats) which are used heavily by both university and outside clients. This Manager will be a “hands on” and deeply involved leader who prides him/herself on maintaining the highest standards in service, follow through and open communication. Success in this position relies on solid organizational skills, strong leadership qualities and superior grace under pressure. Ability to work as a team with the technical, administrative and university staff and build a well trained student crew is essential. A professional, accommodating, and patient attitude is a must. Work schedule includes regular business hours and weekend and evening work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITLES
Well qualified applicants will have experience installing, operating and maintaining theatrical lighting and rigging equipment in a professional, non-volunteer capacity, experience reading and interpreting stage drawings, light plots and rigging plots, knowledge of setup and operation of theatrical sound systems and public address systems, and knowledge of techniques of stage preparation for theatrical or related productions. Experience performing technical theatrical work in a university environment preferred. Knowledge of mechanical physics, fundamental electricity, modern construction practices and materials, stage crafts including rigging, lighting, carpentry, and a/v and sound equipment.
- Supervise and coordinate technical aspects of performances in a variety of art forms, special events, and Fine Arts Center programs. Assisting inexperienced producing/presenting organizations with event planning and execution.
- Assist with facility scheduling; manage production schedules; arrange for technical crews and equipment.
- Preserve a safe working environment and smooth transitions between events. Practical and current knowledge of professional standards of back stage operations and theater safety as outlined in publications by the United States Institute of Theater Technology and local fire code.
- Train, supervise, schedule and evaluate student employees. Establish a training program for student production crew that can support the variety and frequency of programs hosted by the Batte Center.
- Production management duties as needed which require the ability to climb stairs and ladders, bend and twist, lift 20-50 pounds and comfortable with heights.
- Order inventories and maintains equipment, facilities and supplies.
- Serving as the Technical Director or in crew positions for assigned events in the facility.
- Facility management, scheduling and general maintenance as needed.
- And other duties as assigned by the Director of Cultural Events.
- BA from an accredited academic institution with a preference for arts/production majors.
- Five years professional working experience in technical theater production and management.
- Knowledge of contract riders, agreements, hang plots, light plots, sound requirements, theater software.
- Extensive practical knowledge of proper theatrical rigging practices, handling of hard and soft scenic goods.
- Effective skills in budgeting, planning, scheduling and the implementation of theatrical and art installation projects with a high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to perform basic maintenance and upkeep tasks.
- Good communications skills and the ability to represent the Batte Center to community groups, licensees, constituents, patrons, and volunteers.
- Willingness to work long hours and a flexible schedule. Good team player and positive can-do attitude.
- AutoCAD and Microsoft Office Suite experience.
- Valid driver's license and acceptable driving record.
For more information, go to: www.battecenter.org
Interested candidates should provide a letter of interest, resume, contact information for three professional references, and salary requirements via email to Lisa Ragsdale, Human Resources Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reivew of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: It is the policy of Wingate University to abide by all Federal and State laws prohibiting employment discrimination solely on the basis of a person’s race, color, creed, national origin, religion, age (over 40), sex, marital status or physical handicap, except where a reasonable, bona fide occupational qualification exists.